Five Food Facts about Gumbo:
- Gumbo is the official cuisine of the state of Louisiana.
- There are several different varieties of gumbo based on the type of thickener used to create the dish.
- Creole gumbo contains shellfish and tomatoes whereas Cajun gumbo is generally spicier with shellfish or chicken.
- Gumbo may have flavors rooted in Native American, African, Caribbean, Spanish, and French cuisines.
- No one is certain behind the dish’s origin; the oldest mention is by French explorer C.C. Robin on the Acadian coast in 1803.
–Florida: Farmer’s Day
–St. Edwin, patron of tramps and parents of large families.
Today’s Food History
- 1492 Columbus Day. Christopher Columbus arrived at the Bahamas
- 1810 The first Oktoberfest is celebrated in Munich. Oktoberfest originated as a horse race to celebrate the marriage of the crown prince of Bavaria (later King Louis I) to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. Today it is a 2 week…
View original post 248 more words