It is said that Thomas Jefferson introduced pasta to the US around 1789
Here are today’s five thing to know about Pasta:
- The average American consumes 20 lbs. of pasta annually. This makes it the 6th highest food per capita in the country.
- As of March 2012, the average price an American pays for pasta is $1.45 per pound! This makes it one of the most affordable meals.
- 24% of the global consumption of pasta is by Americans – the largest of any country in the world. Americans consume 6 billion pounds of pasta each year.
- The United States produces 4.4 billion pounds of pasta annually, making it the second largest pasta-producing nation.
- Pasta made its way to the New World through the English, who discovered it while touring Italy. Colonists brought to America the English practice of cooking noodles at least one half hour, then smothering them…
View original post 78 more words